Thursday, November 22, 2012

What Having a Big Family is Like on Holidays

This is the year we have Thanksgiving with husband's side and I cannot wait. There is something crazy and fun about having holidays with mega amounts of people, especially when it is family. For those of you who do not know, my husband has 11 siblings. That means huge holiday gatherings. One of my favorites is Thanksgiving. My sister-in-law is hosting this year and we are going to try and fit everyone in the living room.   As you can see, everyone means a lot of people. 
I always imagine that we must somehow stretch a house out when we all gather because it seems impossible to fit so many people under one roof. 
 My hubby's dad and mom are always busy in the kitchen the day of. I have learned that dinner is just never on time. That would be just weird. The first Thanksgiving I had with them I made the mistake of not eating before dinner...I was one grumpy person by 6pm. This year I am prepared to eat snacks. There will be plenty. This is the one meal the Emmons spare nothing. I do not think I have even seen as many pies at a bakery by the time the day is over. Mr. Emmons cooks a variety all day and soon we are putting pies in the oddest places so there is still room to cook. There is also no shortage of jello salads. Never in my life have I seen as many varieties of jello salads as we have on Thanksgiving. The shear volume and variety puts all church potlucks to shame.  

The activities for the day always include large groups. There is no shortage of wiis and wii remotes as the entire family pools together their collection. This year I have been practicing for the Mario Cart Tourney. Not because I want to win (that is a few more years of practice away) but because I just want to keep up enough to cross the finish at each race.
We also place numerous board games and card matches all day long. 
Dinner is always more than filling and we get a chance to discuss what we are thankful for. Then we stuff ourselves full of dessert. 
And we Emmons never forget about left overs. Therefore, at least three turkeys are cooked so that we can all take home the golden combo of mashed taters, turkey and cranberry sauce. And jello salad. And pies. Lots of pies and jello salad. 


1 comment: